Artificially Intelligent conversational interfaces deliver superior user experience, greater productivity, better privacy, cost savings and hence higher RoI
A major goal of computer scientists and AI / robotics experts has been to make our interactions with machines as easy, seamless, smooth, reliable- and “human” as possible. The evolution of User Interfaces is one outcome of this effort, with conversational interfaces being among the latest revolutionary steps in this ongoing journey.
Technologies have today evolved to a level that makes it possible for web sites, mobile apps or other devices to parse human language requests (text or voice), execute the necessary steps and return a conversational response. AI-driven interfaces today use cognitive and deep learning algorithms to efficiently mimic human conversations (and even emotions). An example of this technology are the conversational bots you may have encountered on banking or other web sites or apps. By asking you simple questions, they help you find what you are looking for.
The advent of conversational bots is an important inflection point for businesses for several reasons that impact revenue generation as well as enhancing enterprise productivity and cost reduction.
Enhancing engagement and revenue
- Human minds don’t always think linearly, so if your interface with customers and potential customers can keep pace with human thoughts and provide timely suggestions, you could create major competitive advantage by offering customers an experience that comes close to asking a human for assistance and getting the right information every time.
- Even with
nascent conversational bot technology, a study found
that 28.5% of customers preferred to interact with
chatbots instead of human beings, when buying goods or
As conversational interface technologies improve and become more widely used, this number will only increase- which means many customers will soon expect such capabilities from the companies they engage and transact with.
- Millennial’s and other digital natives spend so much time on their smartphones and other smart devices that they actually prefer technology-enabled conversations to facilitate day-to-day activities such as banking transactions or ordering food, booking tickets etc. This segment represents a rapidly-growing customer-base for many businesses.
- As our societies age, the number of seniors goes up. Many of these people may not have the ability to handle multiple accounts, passwords etc. Conversational bots can be triggered from inside of platforms like Facebook or Whatsapp (which they are familiar with), which makes it easy even for businesses to engage even with this segment of customers.
More and more enquiries and transactions are taking place online via smarter web sites and smartphone apps. With a wide range of advanced conversational technology platforms now available (e.g. Watson Assist, Microsoft Luis, Amazon Alexa etc.), it is much easier for businesses to integrate these capabilities into their businesses. Besides giving you the reputation of being an innovative company, the smart use of these technologies can help your business reduce costs and enhance productivity in the following ways:
- Significantly reduce the need for large 24×7 call centers (as most inquiries can be handled and/or transactions effected in self-service mode)
- Enable your customers online support anytime, anywhere and across devices
- Ease of accessing and making available information across departments
- It is perhaps easier for most people to share sensitive information with a chatbot than with a real human, making it easier to build trust with your business, besides making it easier to comply with data privacy and protection regulations. This also increases the probability that an enquiry will convert into a revenue-generating sale.
Types of conversational interfaces
As explained below the choice of conversational interface depends on the expected purpose and nature of “conversation”.
- Deep Discovery: These bots curate content libraries and provide relevant information in response to queries raised by end users. For example, a chatbot on a hospital/clinic web site or app can guide patients to the right clinician by asking some basic questions about the nature of the problem, besides seamlessly also enabling him/her to fix appointments with the doctor/hospital.
- Intelligent Transaction: These bots empower interfaces either as web or mobile applications application through which customers can experience the shopping cart function (including multiple payment options). For example, a retail store could build a conversational bot that enables visitors to search for an item and seamlessly enable shopping cart function during the conversation. For the business, this reduces the risk that the search may not end as a completed transaction. On the other hand, this makes it easier for the visitor to quickly buy what s/he was looking for.
- Smart Enterprise: These bots can connect to multiple enterprise data sources and gather relevant information. For example, quickly scanning maintenance history logs of shop floor equipment can make it easier to troubleshoot problems; this can also facilitate detailed reporting of the problem to the manufacturer, making it easier for them to service and fix the problem faster, thus reducing down time.
At DARTexon we pair Natural Language Processing with advanced Text Analytics, Image Analytics and Numeric Analytics to design, build and deliver conversational interfaces that improve customer experience and operational excellence for your business. Our solutions can be easily integrated and orchestrated with third-party chat engines such as Watson Assist, SAP recast.ai, Amazon Alexa and Microsoft Luis